Last week we drove down to my native place in kerala and picked up one huge Jackfruit with us while returning. We planned to boil it typical "Kerala Puzhukku" style, but by the time we reached back chennai, and took our sweet time to take it from the trunk, the fruit was ripe:( We decided to do some experiments and found this recipe for a jackfruit preserve on web. So here is the result. Needless to say, it came out delicious! Next up.. Jackfruit Idli!!!
- Get loads of Ripe jackfruit, deseeded. Remember to choose a fruit that is medium ripe.
- Slice them to small pieces and boil in water for about 20 minutes
- Keep boiling...
- A good measure is to look for half the water added to dry up
- Add sugar and pinch of salt to the mixture and stir well
- Look for an almost glass like appearance... Keep stirring
- Keep the heat low and continue
- Almost glass like!
- Add lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- You know the drill... Keep stirring
- See the texture changing!!! And it should smell awesome by now.
- Mash lumps of fruit well into the mix
- Get the right cpnsistancy.
- Tadaaa! Have it with something crunchy or your favorite bread!